February 20, 2008

Tip of The Day For Jewelry-Makers

I'm sure that many of you have invested once or more than once for the necessary pliers needed in many jewelry-making projects by buying them directly from a bead shop or a jewelry supply store, and I'm sure that you were many times disappointed with not only the price but the quality. However, there is an alternative. Kmart's tool center!

A couple weeks ago, I was looking around the Kmart aisles, and I came across a set of pliers, which, although do not look like the ones that one is taught to work on jewelry with, are excellent for wire-wrapping and such.

If you go to Kmart's online store, the product is called "COMPANION 4 pc. Mini Pliers Set" for $9.99. However, I was able to purchase the exact same set of pliers from Kmart a couple weeks ago directly from a Kmart shop for just over $7. So, I recommend that you purchase directly from a Kmart store instead of online, which also saves on shipping costs.

The cutter of the aforementioned set is amazing! It works so well.

One just needs to get over the fact that the tools are not of the same exact look as typical jewerly-making ones. The only type of plier that is not in that set is the long round nozzle one, for which I have not seen a version outside of jewelry supply shops yet, but I will keep my eyes open for it.

If you want to order the above mentioned plier set online from Kmart, just go to: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?storeId=10151&catalogId=10104&keyword=pliers and select the "COMPANION 4 pc. Mini Pliers Set."

Not only are those above mentioned pliers CHEAPER than what jewelry supply places offer, but they WORK BETTER. I'm thrilled about how well they work, and it has cut some time out in terms of how long it takes me to wire-wrap a pair of earrings tightly closed.

In sum, I hope that this little tip proves to be helpful to many.

Best Regards to All!

Anna (a.k.a. Ania)
(of http://www.honorata.etsy.com/ and http://www.beryluniverse.etsy.com/ and http://www.ankasupplies.etsy.com/)

2 comments:

KimmChi said...

Cool, thanks for the great tip!

nina kuriloff said...

this is excellent information for jewelry-makers!

:-)