June 17, 2008

Crocheting on the Go!

Despite the fact that many urbanites dread the daily commute, I look forward to it as a way to catch up on things. When I worked in the city, I would read novels on my morning bus ride into New York. My commute is much shorter now. I go from one city to another in New Jersey so instead of losing myself in a story, I lose myself in a project. I've found that a ball of yarn and a hook fit conveniently in my everyday tote. Commuting, whether long or short, can help you get some crafting time into a busy schedule. Personally I like to work on smaller projects like toys or hats because they are easily portable.
But you can easily work on small projects like these:


Vine Cotton Crochet Bracelet by Bubolina



In addition to my basic tools of yarn and hook, I like to make sure I have my Zen Mp3 player cued to the appropriate soundtrack. Just like when you're working out, music can motivate and inspire you. While I'm a die hard R&B lover, I notice I'm faster when I'm crocheting to club music and hip-hop. If it makes me dance, it makes my fingers fly through the yarn.

I've met so many fellow crafters through my travels. Passengers on the bus watch my busy fingers as a piece takes shape. It breaks barriers. Women (and sometimes men) will ask what I'm working on and tell me about projects they have at home. I've heard so many stories of how someone was introduced to crocheting, knitting, sewing, and more.

Danielle
Collective Elements

1 comment:

Katy Reiser said...

Heeh, I've knitted on the go. I'd imagine crocheting would be way easier in a moving bus though! Luckily I took crocheting up more recently, so the next time I'm traveling I'll most likely have a hook and thread with me for easy mobile crafting. Thanks for the great feature Danielle!