May 28, 2009

Simple Cucumber Salad

I will admit that I have a serious love affair with cucumbers. I use pureed cucumbers in my cucumber & aloe soap. I also try to eat lots of salads during the summer, and they would not be complete without some cucumbers! I get so excited when spring/summer comes around because they are in season and reasonably priced at the supermarket.

Unfortunately, cucumbers don’t have the best shelf life, and they would often go bad before I could eat them. I found a simple recipe for pickled cucumbers that will keep for at least 3 weeks in the fridge, so now I can load up on cucumbers when they are on sale!

4 medium cucumbers
1 medium onion
1 large green sweet pepper (or red or yellow for a bit of color)
½ cup of water
1 cup of white vinegar
¾ cup of sugar
1 tbsp dried dill

Peel & slice the cucumbers, onion, and sweet pepper. Place in a bowl with a tight fitting lid.

Bring the water and vinegar to a boil in a saucepan. Add the sugar & stir until completely dissolved.

Pour mixture over the cucumbers & add dried dill.

Place the cover on the bowl and shake. Let the cucumbers chill in the fridge overnight, and enjoy the next day!

Nordea's Soaperie


May Luk Ceramics said...

So refreshing and easy to do. Can't wait to try it.

Karina said...

Thanks for the recipe! Perfect for summer meals.