December 17, 2009

Artistic Process: How did you learn the discipline you work in now?

"I was lucky enough to be born the daughter of a potter, and so I made my first pot on my mother's lap in her basement studio at age three. I lost interest as I grew older, but when I decided to return to the craft after college, my mom was a hard task master. She used to make me make pot after pot after pot on the wheel, cutting each one open to show me the ways I could improve its construction. I think this was invaluable because it taught me to invest in the process of making an item, instead of just focusing on the product. But it was hard. Some days after she would cut my 20th pot in half, I'd wanna take a sharp tool and open a vein. I didn't know at the time that repitition is also a cornerstone of discipline."
-Lorrie
Lenny Mud

2 comments:

Jess // CLineCreations said...

Wow Lorrie - your discipline really shows through in your gorgeous work!

Metalicious said...

The best way to improve is practice, practice, practice (and having your mother cut apart every piece you make).