January 17, 2010

How-To: Beer Bread

Beer bread is one of those comfort breads that needs to be eaten while still warm out of the oven and works well with soups, stews, or any other hearty warming winter meal. It doesn’t take long at all as it doesn’t require any time to rise. The origins are not exactly known, but my grandmother made it, as does my mother and myself. A loaf of beer bread never lasts more than a day at most. Enjoy!

3 cups of flour

4 1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

3 T sugar

1 - 12 oz can of beer (room temp is best) Cheap beer works just as well, if not better than some of the more expensive brands. When I say cheap, I mean of the “Schlitz” variety. This recipe comes from a woman that lived in Milwaukee after all. Feel free to experiment with the various ales and microbrews that are available now though.
Mix well.


Bake in greased loaf pan for 45 min to 1 hour at 350 degrees.













Anne

Felt It

www.muppetloon.etsy.com



1 comment:

Sarah said...

I made this last night - OMG is it good! Thank you for the recipe!!! :)