May 14, 2010

Around the Corner: Wave Hill

Passing through my old neighborhood the other day, I decided to make a pit-stop and visit Wave Hill in Riverdale, NY.  Where Theodore Roosevelt's family, Mark Twain, and other notables once called home now is a 28-acre public garden overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades.  Wave Hill makes one seriously beautiful place to visit -- and it's right here in New York City!  Plus, there's a very cute gift shop and a cafe that served me the most divine latte...

FYI: Tuesday mornings -- FREE admission!

How to get here: Metro-North, Subway line #1, car, foot... click here for more info




So what's around your corner?  In the comments section below please recommend a place near you that's really neat to visit *and* either free or on-the-cheap.  Thanks!

See you next time,
Virginia Kraljevic

9 comments:

Simone said...

You have the most beautiful places in your neighborhood. For military buffs I can offer up the Harbor Defense Museum in my neighborhood. I still haven't visited it, but it's free right by the water, and you can learn everything about the Battle of Brooklyn. http://www.harbordefensemuseum.com/

Virginia Kraljevic said...

ooh, I haven't been there! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Have heard so much about Wave Hill & have never been. These pictures are beautiful. Tuesday it is for me!!! Thanks again for you insight Virginia.

Sindy said...

Oh Wave Hill! The memories... It brings me back to when I was 15 and interned at Wave Hill. My first summer job. Thanks for posting such beautiful picture's.

Anonymous said...

great post Virginia, specially now with summer approaching this place looks great for an outing day wit the kids n just a few stops from where i live...great job n thanks for the post:)

Lorrie Veasey said...

how about the highline in chelsea?
come visit me if you go!

Virginia Kraljevic said...

We hit the High Line last week ;) Absolutely gorgeous!

http://thenewnew.blogspot.com/2010/04/around-corner_30.html

Valdette said...

I am always passing through Riverdale and meaning to stop by Wave Hill... Now I know I need to make this happen asap.

Mindy said...

Oh BOY! I LOVE Wave Hill!! When I was just a youngin' in elementary school we would go there on school trips and extract maple syrup from the maple trees. This place is a must see.

Thanks V,
I <3 you for reminding me of such a happy memory.