March 18, 2011

Tutorial: Recycle those grocery bags into terrific envelopes

Today’s post is tutorial on making recycled envelopes from guest {NewNew} blogger Sara Stroman of S2 Stationery and Design.   Thanks for helping us celebrate National Craft Month Sara!

I’m Sara Stroman from S2 Stationery and Design and as promised I’m sharing a video (gasp!) showing how to take those brown bags you get when you shop at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or anywhere else they may pass them out, and turn them into envelopes you can use to send your personal letters, notes and maybe even small invitations.   
It really is easy to give a new life to those bags, so save them until you can sit down for an hour or two and create some envelopes.  Not to mention, you’ll feel really proud of yourself for taking the time not just to recycle, but to send your loved ones a handmade object.

The video is 9 minutes long, I hope you find it easy to follow.  I go over envelopes sized known as A2, or 4 3/8’ by 5 3/4’.  Remember that those are only the width and height of where the card will sit in the center of the envelope. The other dimensions are: 2 ¼ for all three flaps and 3 ¾ from the top of the rectangle to the tip of the flap. A copy of the pattern is available for you to print out, to show how to create the actual pattern using a ruler. I just gave you the dimensions on the video and showed you how I opened an already existing envelope to help create the pattern I use.



Having trouble? Click here to view on YouTube


These envelopes really take minutes to make once you get used to the shape. Just remember the supplies you need are scissors, glue and a ruler. A bone folder is optional (but good to have should you decide to make envelopes out of heavier weights).

And that’s it! If you have any questions, or want to share some of your envelope making stories/designs with me, feel free post your comments on the blog or convo me on Etsy www.saraes26.etsy.com.
Oh and somewhere toward the end, I mentioned decorating the interior of the envelopes. Maybe The {NewNew} blog will host another video session with me showing how to create linings for your handmade, recycled envelopes.  
Until then, happy recycling and envelope making!
Sara / S2 Stationery and Design




Thanks for sharing Sara.  
We will most definitely want you to share that next tutorial -- Holly / EllisDesign

5 comments:

Simone said...

What a great tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing, Sara.

Virginia Kraljevic said...

Love the video! thx for sharing!

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you ladies! I really enjoyed making the video and would love to do more for the blog.

Unknown said...

Great idea and tutorial. I love being able to recycle things int new ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I have a blog where my recent post is on 2011 spring jewelry trend.
http://chelsearainbows.blogspot.com