June 11, 2012

Celebrating Brooklyn Festival 2012

Webbed Ware by Courtney Webb


If you are a regular reader of this blog you probably are aware of who the Etsy NY Street team is, formally the newnew.  If not here is a brief descript, designers, artists, crafters who are etsy shop owners who live in NY City.  NYC is compromised of the 5 boroughs; Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, The Bronx and Queens.  We support each other in all sorts of ways and also team up to do markets together. This summer is my first time joining EtsyNY for Celebrate Brooklyn.  I recently moved to Brooklyn, from Hells Kitchen in Manhattan, and being so close to Prospect Park where this festival is held I applied to be in it. Yes you need to apply, we have over 200 members in our group!


Celebrate Brooklyn is a summer long event held in Prospect Park at the band shell organized by BRIC arts and media.  I interviewed a few of the artists and designers to find out more on why they choose this festival:
Why did you decide to sell in Celebrate Brooklyn?
Annie of Brooklyn Owl says  "The vibe and energy at the concerts is amazing. I am so excited to spend the summer going to celebrate Brooklyn with my husband and daughter and spending time in the Etsy team booth."   While Melissa from Be in the Moment commented that she "decided to join Celebrate Brooklyn because it sounded like a unique place to sell my jewelry, and it was also a great way to get me out there enjoying more of the free summer events that NYC has to offer! What better way to discover some new (to me) bands than work some shifts at our tent there. Not to mention, I liked the idea of having a fixed location for my wares for the summer season. I’m trying to do less “lug your tent” weekend markets and get into more stores and permanent locales this year. 

Brooklyn Owl


2. Have you sold in it before this season?
Lydia from Pure Spa Squared is in her second season: "his is my second year selling at CBK and I returned because it is such a great venue & the team is super fun.
Although I sell my goat's milk & honey lotions, I created a new product last year "Bug Off" based on the suggestion of my teammates. This Vegan based bug repellent has been a big hit at the concerts. Made with cat nip, essential oils, aloe gel & distilled water...this product is now carried by Green in Bklyn a green base store on Myrtle Ave.
  
Also in their second season is Persuede. "This is my second season at the celebrate brooklyn general store. As a lifelong brooklynite I've always loved cb - the music, the park and the sense of community is wonderful. Usually, as makers of things and vendors, our audience is brought together by an interest in shopping handmade"
Persuede

3. What product are you selling? Do you design more than one product and if so how did you choose what to sell in CBK?
Melissa from Be in the Moment sells jewelry. "I make and sell enamel jewelry. I chose a limited selection of popular items from my line to bring to Celebrate Brooklyn, including my bicycle pendants and my textured trapezoid earrings. I also created some brand new Brooklyn designs just for the event." 
Be in the Moment
4. What is your favorite or least favorite part of this event? 
I answered this one. It seems to be the music is the most fave of everyone but the food from the Farm on Adderley comes in a close second.

5. How does this event compare to other events you participate in?  
Lydia of Pure Spa: "The concerts are amazing and a fun way to spend the evening. While working the tent we love tasting the food & ice cream. My experience at CBK has allowed me to expand my product line and build great friendships with fellow etsy ny sellers."
Pure Spa2

6. Any addition comments you would like to share with the public or etsyNY Team members to encourage them to come by The General Store Etsy NY Team Booth?  
Dina from Bugged Out "Come to our shop, great shopping and great music all at the same place!!! 

Bugged out




There are 16 fabulous artists and designers participating in CBK. Unfortunately I cannot show off all of their product here but please visit their shops below to see what you can find at this year's Celebrate Brooklyn:















Find out all about Celebrate Brooklyn here
Celebrate Brooklyn runs all summer long, hope to see you there!

Tracey






No comments: