January 17, 2013

Liberty of London Fabrics

Liberty of London new collection inspired by the Chelsea Flower Show

Many people who are sewers or quilters know of Liberty of London fabrics. Those who do seem to love them.  As a designer with a background in woven fabrics I appreciate the quality and the design, and personally I think they are absolutely gorgeous. Grant it, they are expensive, but with good reason.
Their fabrics are designed by English artists, the Liberty archives date back to 1875, high quality cotton is used, the process is intense and they are manufactured in England.  With fabric manufacturing this is where the majority of the cost is, where it is manufactured, (visit this 2 minute plus video by Mollie Makes about the printing process of Liberty). When you buy this fabric you are not supporting child or unfair wage labor.  Rather these are experienced technicians earning an honest wage in England.  So how much is it a yard? On average in the US it runs about $36 a yard. But believe me, if you purchase it and make something with it, you will have it forever.

Liberty just came out with their new collection, inspired by the Chelsea Flower Show. Liberty is known for their floral prints.  What I love most are their prints that are not your stereotypical flower print.  Each fabric has a story and background. If you would like more info you can visit their website and click on each fabric link and they will tell you what this fabric is about.







One of my part time jobs is working at Purl Soho, a fabric and yarn shop in Soho NYC.  I emailed my manager yesterday to find out if we are getting any of the new Liberty collection. Only 3 stores in NYC carry Liberty. She said we were but wasn't sure when it was arriving.  Late last night I received a text message, the fabrics arrived last night.  Today I go to to work and can't wait to see the new collection in person! I wonder which ones the store will be selling.
Are you familiar with Liberty fabrics? Have you sewn with them? What do you think?

Tracey Toole

http://www.etsy.com/shop/traceytoole

http://traceytoole.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Jody said...

I love Liberty of London and it's history from the English Arts and Crafts period. When I went to England in my twenties I always picked up some fabric from their store. I have some of William Morris' "Strawberry Thief." I made an outfit or two and after they got stained I still keep the fabric for craft projects. Keep a look out on eBay for these items; I got yards and yards of a beautiful Morris/Liberty decorating fabric from some one in England who was selling her former curtains - though it took 2 - 3 months to arrive in the mail!

Unknown said...

I love Strawberry Thief! I am currently making a shirt in an olive colorway of this print.