January 9, 2013

Quick & Easy DIY Fabric Coasters



Now that I have a new obsession in sewing, I am starting to find all sorts of fun projects to work on. I happen to have a weakness for coasters. I have them all over my apartment, and I always have some on my table at craft fairs (so that customers can put down their drinks and pick up my soap!) So, here is a quick and easy tutorial that anyone can do:

First, I cut out four squares of fabric for the top portion (an old pair of jeans!) and another four squares in a coordinating fabric (the same size) for the bottom portion.



Then I cut out four squares of batting slightly smaller for the padding.



Then I cut four strips of colorful ribbon that would fit across the front of the top square. I glue it on to keep it in place before sewing.



Using my trusty machine, I sew the colorful ribbon strip onto the front of each top square.



Then, I glue the batting onto the back of each bottom square.



I place the top and bottom squares (right sides facing each other) together and pin them in place before sewing them up. You want the right sides to face each other because you need to leave a 1.5" section open so you can turn the completed square inside out. If you look closely, you can see where I marked my opening in blue marker near the top of the square.



After you turn the square inside out, the right sides should be facing out, and you simply need to hand stitch the small opening to finish it up.



So there you have it....easy peasy fabric coasters! Great for a quick housewarming gift, or if you are heading to a friend's house for dinner...I always like to show up with a little gift of appreciation!

Until next time....happy crafting!
Nordea
nordeasoaperie

3 comments:

Metalicious said...

Great tutorial, Nordea!

Liz Lewis said...

These are adorable! Thanks for the tutorial.
Liz
http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/

Simone said...

So cute. I also like your butterfly pins. This would be a great recycling project for jeans.