September 30, 2008

Organization: Fabric Board How-To


I prefer hand written lists. There's a greater likelihood of getting things done if I actually see and read my lists. In my kitchen there's a perfect spot for a fabric board where I can post my to lists.

Here's a tutorial on how to make a simple fabric board for your kitchen or any other part of your home or office.

Materials
Foam board 1/2" thickness, cut to desired size
Medium to heavy weight fabric, larger than the board by atleast 2" all around
Heavy duty stapler with 1/4" staples*
2 sets of sticky magnets
*Depth of staples should be thinner than foam board thickness so they do not protrude.

Instructions

1. Place Board in center of fabric
2. Hold top center of board and pull fabric tight towards you. While holding fabric staple across the top.

3. Flip board and repeat for opposite side.
4. Peel backing from 2 sticky magnets and place below stapled sides, one at the top and bottom.

5. For remainder, choose a side. Tuck and fold fabric neatly at corner edges, while pulling tightly on slight angle downwards and towards center of board.
Staple from top to bottom of board maintaining a tight hold as you staple. Adjust and tuck fabric as necessary.

6. Repeat step 5 for remaining side.

7. Attach 2 remaining magnets to the ones already on board. Peel the backing and hang finished board in desired location.


7 comments:

Katy Reiser said...

Awesome idea, and I love how it turned out! Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this! There is also great satisfaction in actually crossing something off your list. Great post!

KimmChi said...

lovely!

bshorr said...

i love this idea - may have to add this to the craft room i'm creating in my new apt!

May Luk Ceramics said...

That is great idea and easy to do. Putting this on my "to-do list"!!!

Red Bridge Studio said...

Let me know if you try it.I was able to cross everything off of yesterday's list.

waisze said...

How lovely!