March 28, 2009

How-to: "Something Blue" Bridal Hair Pin

My little sister will be getting married this summer and she trusted me enough to give me the extremely important task of designing and creating her jewelry. I'm scared already! ;O I'm almost certain, she will turn out to be my most difficult and outspoken client ever, and I'm not fooled by her when she says "Just surprise me, I'm sure I will love it!"

I decided to start with hair accessories. We went over different possibilities: hair combs, tiaras, hair bends and decided that hair pins would be best. My sister has very fine and "slippery" hair and pins will not only help to hold them in place, but also give the master hairdresser, my brother's best friend, lots of flexibility.

Supplies:
~hair pin
~wire (I'm using 26ga silver plated wire)
~beads: glass flowers, glass leaves, pearls, Swarovski crystals, seed beads
go wild! use silk flowers, feathers, old jewelry, sequins, buttons, etc
~wire clippers
1. Cut an 18in long piece of wire, place first petal or leaf shaped bead in the middle of your wire and twist wire securing bead in place.

2. Secure additional 2 petal beads on each end of the wire.
3. Make a couple of additional twists below the little branches.
4. Add glass flower bead topped with "something blue" Swarovski crystal bead leaving about 1/2in of wire bellow the flower.
5. Bend the wire tightly over the edge of the flower bead and twist tightly making sure that the blue crystal stays as centered as possible.

6. Thread a little Swarovski crystal butterfly on the longer end of the wire about 1.5in from twister wire, fold it tightly against the bead and wrap around.
7. Position the butterfly above the pearl branches.
8. Add one more flower bead with Swarovski crystal center at the base of this little bridal bouquet.
9. Thread both ends of the wire through the loop of the hair pin and secure it in place by wrapping around the loop of the hair pin and around the base of the bouquet. Clip off the access wire.

by Mirela
Jantar Handcrafted Jewelry

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really cute idea! I think I'll try this for myself to wear at weddings too!

→lisa said...

How pretty and delicate! I love this :)

The Craftaholic said...

that is really cute! What a nice idea, I'll have to make this.

May Luk Ceramics said...

That is very pretty! My fingers are not so nibble. I will commission YOU to do it if I need something pretty like that.

cakehouse said...

that is just beautiful, mirela.

Jantar Handcrafted Jewelry said...

Thank you:O)
My sister really likes it.

Marilyn said...

That is SO cute!

nordeasoaperie said...

very nice mirela~

Ikyoto said...

I feel like having something made by a sibling or other loved-one is such a touching part of creating meaning and context for the event.

Gale said...

i love this! beautiful!

Karina Glaser said...

Really lovely!

Julia said...

So cute, I think I will make some for my daughter and not worry if they get lost.

Dee said...

Gorgeous, I am going to a wedding in July, this will be just the perfect accessory. I will have to make one for my friend as well or she will end up taking mine!